tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 19 22:35:21 1998

Re: Toq

>I don't know if anyone will or not... but does anyone know the words of
>the song that Toq sang when him and Worf came back from the ritual hunt
>in the two part episode called: Birthright.  I would love to find the
>words, and the traslation... but, if I can just get the words from
>someone, I will handle translation.  =)

HolQeD 4:1 (March 1995) has the song as rendered by the closed captioning
for the episode.  It is definitely nonsense from the point of view of the
{ta' Hol} speakers here.  Marc Okrand has something to say about this in
Klingon for the Galactic Traveler.  On page 13, we read:

    Finally, there are some old but still popular songs that retain
    old words and old grammatical forms that are not interpretable in
    modern Klingon.  In fact, it is not uncommon for Klingon children
    to think some of these songs are nonsense songs, filled with silly
    words, and then be surprised to find out they are ancient hunting
    songs or battle songs.

This is rather obviously in reference to the song in Birthright.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level