tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 15 17:41:59 1998

RE: How do I say... (ATTN: pagh)

mujang Robert W. Ray:

> > We don't know whether Klingons commonly do this or not,
> > but that's our best guess.
> >
> > So my guess at a translation for "I love you" is <qamuSHa'>.
>
> It is my honest opinion that the Klingon Race would be much
> more aggressive in declaring love for someone.  Considering
> the Klingon Marriage Rites, I would say that a Klingon would
> simply say the Klingon equivalent of "(person) my love."
> I am not sure of the syntax, but the words "tlhIl bang"
> seem appropriate. (tlhIl bang B'Etor)?

Well, not quite. To start with, <tlhIl> means "mine (v)" or "mineral
(n)". You were looking for <tlhIH>, which means "you (plural)", but
that's not what you want either. <SoH> means "you (singular)", which IS
what you really want.

Second, you need to say "you are MY love", so you need <bangwI' SoH>
rather than just <bang SoH>. If you want to say this to someone, you
would put the person's name either after or before the whole sentence.
<bangwI' SoH, be'etor>.

I don't see how this is any more or less agressive than the sentence I
suggested. I also don't see how it's any better, unless you don't like
<muSHa'> for "love".

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian.

Back to archive top level