tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 11:46:05 1998

Re: Klingon Time 2

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 06:14:49 -0700 (PDT) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' peHruS:
> >  The Klingons
> >refer to time in 24 one-hour periods, using military terminology to express
> >time.
>
> taghwI'vaD vay' DaQIjchugh, De' mung yIngu'!  ngoDvam much CK, qar'a'?

CKDaq ngoDvam vIghoj.

> >Thus, 11:30 pm is given as cha'maH wejvatlh wejmaH rep.
>
> ngoDHeyvam wISovbe'qu'.  chaq lugh; chaq lughbe'.  chovnatlh wIHutlh.

pIjHa' maQoch, 'ach DaH maQochbej. qar peHruS. nuja' CK.
> >The size of the planet implies that the {repmey} could be
> >substantially longer than an Earth hour.
>
> nuqjatlh?  chay' rep poH SIgh yuQ tIn?  tlham nger le'be' Daqel'a'?
> bImISchu', peHruS.  Jupiter tIn law' tera' tIn puS, 'ach Jupiter jaj
> ngaj law' tera' jaj ngaj puS.  DIng yuQ.  tIn 'e' SaHbe'.  mach 'e'
> SaHbe'.  nom DInglaH yuQ mach pagh QIt DInglaH.  QIt DInglaH yuQ tIn
> pagh nom DInglaH.  ram qelI'qammey.

maQochbe'chu'. *MercuryDaq* nIb wa' jaj wa' DIS je. tera'
qelDI'lu' nI'qu' *Mercury* jaj 'ej ngajqu' *Mercury* DIS.

> >  There is no concrete proof that
> >there are 60 tupmey in a rep, but it appears to be so, from the sketchy
> >evidence about military time-telling.
>
> Dachchu' tupmey QIjbogh De'.

maQochqa'. qatlh DIvI' mu' *minute* lo'? wa' rep mojbe'chugh
javmaH tup, jatlhlaH *Okrand* <<rep nI' law' tup nI' puS.>>
mu'Daj le' law' mu'meyvam le' puS. *Minute* lo'.

> >OTOH, we do not know anything for sure about the divisions of a {rep}, a
> >{tup}, or a {lup}.  Not only do we on Earth use Earth time-telling methods
> >even when talking about Klingon time, it appears to me that Klingon divisions
> >of time are demarcated in like divisions.  Apparently, the divisions are
> >nearly 1-1/2 times longer!?!
>
> We know that there are 24 hours in a day.  That's *all* we know.  Aside from
> the [intentional] similarity with 24-hour "military time" phrasing when one
> tells at what hour an event happens, we have no clue about how to use minutes
> and seconds.

bIjaqqu'.

> And I really don't know what you're getting at with the "1-1/2 times longer"
> idea.  Even ignoring the fact that we don't know how the size of the Klingon
> homeworld, a planet's size is utterly irrelevant to the length of its day.

Well, I stand between you two. I wonder where he gets the idea
that things are 1.5 times slower on Qo'noS and I wonder where
you get the idea that 60 seconds don't make a minute and 60
minutes don't make an hour.

Klingon has adapted their numbers to match Fed Standard. Likely
they did the same for time. Until we are told otherwise, likely
we are safe to use seconds and minutes the same in Klingon as in
English.

We still don't know how to use {bID} and there's a lot about
math that's missing right now. We now have much better tools for
measurement, but they still aren't very good. They are good
only because they are better than nothing, and before we got
these, we had nothing.

> >maSovchu'be'
>
> maSovbe'chu'.

maSovchu'be'.

> But since I usually am describing events here on Earth, I will use the Earth
> definitions for minutes and seconds, just like I do for months and weeks.

maj.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI', pab 'utlh

Back to archive top level