tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 08 13:52:21 1998

Re: muj & Qagh

: Matthew wrote:
: >I the dictionary file I have compiled from various places, both {muj} and
: >{Qagh} are listed as 'wrong'.  Do the both mean wrong as in mistaken? or
: >immoral? or one of each?
:
: /muj/ means to be wrong about a fact, /Qagh/ means to make an error.
: If you made a /Daqtagh/ without the side blades, that would be /Qagh/.
: If you thought you could still use it in a knife fight, that would be /muj/.
:
: -- ter'eS

muj  "be wrong" (v.)

 - NO EXAMPLES IN CANON.

Qagh  "to err, be mistaken, make a mistake" (v.)

 - Qagh yaS wa'DIch
   The first officer errs. KGT

 - jIQaghpu'
   I have made a mistake. KGT

Cf. the homonymous noun {Qagh} "error, mistake":

 - QaghHommeyHeylIjmo'
   due to your apparent minor errors TKD

 - QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS
   Permit me to explain my mistake, your Honor. PK

 - QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH
   Have the courage to admit your mistakes. TKW

And don't forget...

bachHa'  "err, make a mistake (slang)" (v.) KGT

["I was talking with Marc about this yesterday. I mentioned that the only
problem with the {bachHa'} error in the book was that it was, by definition,
canonical. I could hear him smiling over the phone as he said, 'But that's
only in the Klingon to English side. It's correct the other way'." (Lawrence)]

 - jIbachHa'pu'
   I have made a mistake (slang: "I have mis-shot") KGT

Not to mention that one can also say {lughbe'} "not be right, not be
correct" and {qarbe'} "not be accurate", etc.

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level