tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 18:49:06 1998

RE: KLBC -is this right?

ja' pagh:
>...Clipped Klingon drops out inessential parts of sentences to express
>things even more economically than regular Klingon. In clipped Klingon,
><nuqDaq X> means "Where is X?", so your sentence (with the proper spelling
>of <Qo'noS>) would be correct in some contexts, like a casual conversation
>or a battle on a Klingon ship.

These "inessential parts" can be left out only because there are clues
to their meaning outside the sentence.  If you're shouting in someone's
face <yaj'a'?>, for example, you're probably not demanding to know if
someone *else* understood something. :-)

I tend to view messages on this mailing list as being somewhat more formal
than a "casual conversation," by the way.  With the number of beginners
and nit-pickers reading, it seems to me that everyone is better off if we
use Clipped Klingon sparingly here.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level