tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 16:44:01 1998

RE: KLBC-Excercises

> I need to know if there are any excerises to imporove my
> translating.

The best source of good Klingon for translation is . . . this mailing
list. There are an awful lot of good posts of varying complexity levels
to practice on. ghunchu'wI' (Alan Anderson) and Qov (Robyn Stewart) have
been the most prolific of late. The archive is a good place to look if
you don't have anything interesting sitting in your inbox.

Other good places to find Klingon text to translate are jatmey, the
KLI's annual anthology of poetry and fiction, and Hamlet. You can order
issues of jatmey (there are three) from the KLI's web site. Hamlet is
probably the most difficult text around, but it also quite rewarding to
read. If you don't have a copy of Hamlet, you're out of luck for a
while. The hardbound copies are sold out, and the paperback edition
(which will (hopefully) be published by Pocket Books) will not be out
for a while.

If you're thinking of translating English text into Klingon, the best
advice I can give is don't do it. Learn how to express your own ideas
first.

> Also,when is Empire Union day(from PK)in Earth
> time?

Can't help with that one.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian