tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 11:00:40 1998

RE: Oh My.

lab Bryan Poratz:

> Good God.  I didn't realize that would happen to my post.
> I will endeavor to remember to use Text Only from now on...
>
> Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

Thank you for catching this yourself - most people don't realize what
they are doing until somebody tells them. Fortunately, you have given me
the perfect opportunity to talk about qa'meH vIttlheghmey, known to
English speakers as replacement proverbs.

Replacement proverbs are introduced on the audiotape _Power Klingon_ and
are explained in the context of a meal, but work in many other settings
as well. The proper action after a social gaffe in Klingon society is to
(forcefully) issue a "replacement proverb" to replace lost honor. The
meaning of the particular proverb is unimportant, but the boldness with
which it is spoken apparently is. Here are some of them:

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
Only fools laugh while warriors die

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
Set fire on the side when there is danger

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
The fire is always hotter on somebody else's face

jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup
To defeat the enemy, be prepared to fight alone

reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'
A great warrior is always prepared to fight

HIvqa' veqlargh
The Fek'lhar strikes again

So the next time you have the occasion and want to sound Klingon, use a
replacement proverb. If you speak boldly (and correctly), skilled
Klingon speakers will immediately forget about whatever it was you did
to require a replacement proverb, and normal people will look at you
strangely, which is always a plus {{;-)

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level