tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 03 14:31:41 1998

RE: KLBC - HIvqa' veqlargh!

lab tuv'el:

> KLBC - HIvqa' veqlargh!
>
> Curses!  Well, here are the couple of new sentences I meant
> to send with my other post...
>
> mu'tlheghmey:
>
> 'ar QIH chenmoH mogh'e' romuluS HIQ tlutlhtaHvIS?
> "How much damage did Mogh cause while he was drinking
> Romulan ale?"

The minor stuff first. You misspelled <HIq>. <'ar> always goes AFTER the
thing being quantified, not before. I'm not sure why you used <-'e'> on
mogh. It's not wrong - I am just wondering.

Now for the major stuff. <QIH 'ar chenmoH mogh> just doesn't work. To
start with, <QIH 'ar> seems a bit strange to me, although I can't say
for sure that it's wrong. <'ar> means "how many" or "how much", and I
don't like seeing it used on something that can't be counted (e.g.
phasers) or measured (e.g. fuel). Second, using <chenmoH> with <QIH> is
just too strange. <chenmoH> is literally "cause to take form", and I
just don't think one can cause damage to take form.

What you really want to find out in this sentence is how much it's going
to cost to bail mogh out of jail after his latest bender {{;-)
Seriously, though, you are asking for a description of the damage mogh
caused. In noun-centric English, you ask about the (noun) damage mogh
caused. In verb-centric Klingon you ask what mogh (verb) damaged. Here's
my suggestion:

nuq QIH mogh, romuluS HIq tlhutlhtaHvIS?

> tugh bangwI' 'aQlo' ghegh vIHotqa'law' 'e' vItul.
> "Soon I hope I will be able to again touch my love's rough
> forehead."

Wrong suffix: <-law'> should be <laH>. Other than that, this is fine.

> mu'meylIj DapoDmoH'a'?
> "Did you clip your words?"

maj.

pagh