tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 16:07:38 1998

RE: Absolute Beginner

lab Rachel Szlemphe:

> I have nearly no knowledge of the Klingon language, but would like to
> learn.  Could anyone recommend a dictionary or anything of that sort??
>
> Qapla' (my one word)

Welcome to the list, Rachel. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian on the list. It's my job to help beginners learn
Klingon. Just mark your posts for my attention by putting the letters
KLBC in the subject line, and I will reply.

The essential reference for the Klingon language is The Klingon
Dictionary by Marc Okrand. You should be able to find it at your local
bookstore, and if you can't, you can order it from the Klingon Language
Institute's merchant page at /kli/Merchant.phtml.
There are also several other resources for learning Klingon, including a
few audiocassettes, but for the beginning student, only the Dictionary
is essential.

There is also a FAQ list for this mailing list which has all sorts of
useful information. You can find it at:
http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian