tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 01 21:05:39 1998

Re: translation

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 [email protected] wrote:

>Would the translation for Phoenix AKA "firebird" be qul toQ?

Closer to "fire hawk", "fire eagle" etc.  toQ is a particular type of
raptor/bird of prey on Qo'noS. Exactly what, we're not sure.  Bill
Willmerdinger talked to Marc Okrand at BabelCon 2 (4/97) and asked him about
the origin of toQDuj:

"According to Marc, a {toQ} is ... definitely an animal from Qo'noS ... a
Klingon avian analogous to a Terran bird of prey. {toQ} does not literally
mean 'bird of prey', it's merely one type of creature which exhibits
characteristics similar to that grouping of Terran birds."

We know of no generic word for bird - or flying mammal or flying reptile
either, for that matter.  Or whether such creatures exist on the Homeworld.
Some here on the List use *chalDep, analogous to bIQDep, translated as "fish"
in KGT (literally "[nonhumanoid] water being"). I'm not sure whether this is
a generic word for any aquatic creature or a particular kind; are norgh and
pIpyuS considered types of bIQDep?  Assuming, of course, that pIpyuS even
live in the sea.  {{;-)

(BTW, is a phoenix a bird of prey?  In the drawings I've seen, they've always
looked rather liked big crains or swans. At least, Russian *zhar ptitsy* do.)

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level