tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 26 12:40:19 1998

RE: KLBC -- 'uch = to hold (v)?

lab Michael:

>   This is my first post to the tlhIngan-Hol mail list.

Welcome to the list, Michael. You've probably heard my BG spiel by now, but
I will repeat it anyway. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting the letters KLBC in the subject line, as you did in this message.

> I was wondering about a word I came up upon that I can't find any
> reference to.  It is "'uch", which appears to be "to hold (v),"
> based on the next two references in the tlhIngan-Hol archives...
>
> SuvmeH betleH vIlo'laHpa' betleH vI'uch 'e' vIghojnIS.
> I must learn to hold a betleH before I can use it to fight.
>
> wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhingan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj.
> The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade.
>
>   Does "'uch" mean "to hold," and where did this first
> appear, since it doesn't seem to be in TDK.

As Voragh has already noted, <'uch> does not appear in TKD. You can find it
in Klingon for the Galactic Traveller (KGT), which really is an essential
resource for learning Klingon as we know it today.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level