tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 23 13:49:36 1998

RE: Need help!!

lab Ti-Lyn Soh:

> hi.. it's me again for those who recieved my plea for help on Klingon
> syntax a little while back..

> I've been scouting the city today for the klingon dictionary, but. to no
> avail... *sniff sniff* All I picked up was 'Klingon for the galactic
> traveller' by okrand.  Soooo.. I would greatly appreciate urgent replies,
> if possible, concerning the syntax section in TKD. I will be looking also
> at web sites which may help me, and if anyone else has useful syntax-ish
> sites to reccomend me, I'll be thoroughly grateful! *grin*

> Or, if someone would be kind enough to provide me with a brief run-down of
> the language in terms of structure and differences compared to english.

> So hopefully, someone in the Klingon world would be kind enough to lend a
> hnad to a desperate beginner... *pathetic smile* Thanks in advance!

Welcome, Lyn. You first delurked while I was away. As I am sure you know by
now, my name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners' Grammarian. It's my
job to help beginners learn Klingon. Whenever you have a post you want help
with, mark it for my attention by putting the letters KLBC in the subject
line.

Qov has already answered the question, "So what's different about tlhIngan
Hol?", and she's right. Klingon was constructed to be a natural language,
but a very alien one. It does most things very differently from English and
most of the European languages the typical Star Trek fan is familiar with.
Okrand seems to take pleasure in the weirdness of Klingon, and so, I think,
do most of us who study it.

Once you get hold of a Klingon Dictionary, try to post a few simple
sentences on the order of "My targ ate my book" or the ever popular "The
officer hit the child", and I will correct your attempts. If you don't die
of embarrassment from making the same mistakes all of us did when we started
learning, you should start learning pretty quickly.

pagh
Beginners Grammarian

Back to archive top level