tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 21 13:00:47 1998

RE: Atlanta

lab Rose Thornton:

> *Atlanta* vengDaq vIyIn.
The prefix on <vIyIn> should instead be <jI->, but there is a better way to
say this. <yIn> means "live", as in "be alive", and probably cannot be
applied to things like "I live in ...". In KGT, we are given the word <Dab>,
which means "dwell in, reside at", and is just what you want here.

*Atlanta* veng vIDab.

> latlh tetlhvam beqpu' *Atlanta* vengDaq yInbogh tu'lu'?

I see what you are going for, but this doesn't quite work. I think you are a
little too hung up on the English you are trying to translate. Instead of
"Are there other list members who live in Atlanta?", which makes for a very
awkward Klingon sentence, you should try to say "Do other list members live
in Atlanta?". This is less awkward even in English - one of the benefits of
learning Klingon is that it improves your knowledge of your own language.

The good news here is that your use of <latlh> is just fine. I would suggest
substituting <jeSwI'> for <beq>. I understood you just fine, but <jeSwI'>
describes the list members better, I think.

*Atlanta* veng luDab'a' latlh tetlhvam jeSwI'pu'.

> I live in Atlanta. Are there other list members that
> live in Atlanta?

I don't know of any.

> (In addition to answering the question, please correct my grammar.
> I am not comfortable with my usage of {latlh} or my word order. I
> wanted to say {yInbogh *Atlanta* vengDaq}, but I thought that was
> too much like English.)

It was a good attempt. Keep trying.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian