tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 20 08:50:31 1998

Re: More words

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 07:26:28 -0700 (PDT) Pam Felton
<[email protected]> wrote:

> mu'mey DISov pagh mu'mey chu'?

Try:

mu'mey DISovbogh mu'mey chu' ghap Daqel. yIQIj.

You mixed a sentence with a noun phrase and put a sentence
conjunction between them.

> You mean a list of all the words already in existence or making up new
> words on our own?  A lot of people have word lists with all known words
> but Mark Okrand is the only one who can make up new words. :)
>
> K'ryntes
>
> Rose, Thornton (Atlanta) wrote:
>
> > I know that this is a little off topic, and probably will rub some
> > people the wrong way (how's that for a colloquialism?), but has
> > anyone thought about or worked on creating a much more extensive
> > set of words for tlhIngan Hol?
> >
> > ~ Thornton

Basically, Okrand created the language and the vocabulary. If we
started just making up new words, what happens if he publishes a
new book with a new word list using our same words with
different meanings, or different words with our meanings? What
happens if we make up words he intentionally didn't put into the
vocabulary, like a question word meaning "which" or an explicit
verb meaning "to be"?

It just gets to be a mess. Okrand owns the vocabulary. We work
to reassemble it, since it is so fragmented among its many
sources, but we don't make up new words.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level