tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 15 08:35:31 1998

Re: "da laffin tlhIngan"

> [Voragh] wrote:
> > Who knew Klingons had such a sense of humor?
>
> Is there a word for humor?  I only have TKD, so I don't know if there
> was anything after that.
>
> FCAPT Robert W. Ray

Sadly, no.  Klingon is particularly lacking in abstract nouns.  You have to
recast the idea using a verb.  For "he has a sense of humor," you could say:

 pIj mon/Hagh/qID.
 He often smiles/laughs/jokes.

 reH montaH/HaghtaH/qIDtaH.
 He's always grinning/laughing/joking.

  qIDchu' ghaH.
  He jokes well, that one.

... and so on.  But keep in mind that Klingons may view a sense of humor
differently than we do.  Okrand wrote in TKW (p.167):

  pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
  Don't trust those who frequently smile.

  To a Klingon, a smile signals not only contentment, satisfaction, and
  good humor, but also complacency, the feeling that all is well.

And commenting on the verb {mon} "smile, grin, sneer" on the old MSN Expert
Forum:

 This also means things like 'snarl' and 'smirk'. I wouldn't be
 surprised to find a Klingon {mon} and growl at the same time, but
 {mon} by itself doesn't describe the full growling experience.

Finally, {Hagh} "laugh":

  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.
  Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

  cheqotlhchugh maHaghbe''a'
  Tickle us, do we not laugh? TKW

 Voragh
"Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
 Ca'Non Master of the Klingons                              lis est."
       Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level