tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 13:16:49 1998

Re: jIHaghnIS

qatlho
thank you, pagh

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Charlie Bender.  As you can
see, I chose the klingon name "SIHwI'", which I thought was an obvious choice.
I have been a Star Trek fan (particually Klingons) for a long time (yes, I am
old enough to VAGUELY remember the original series when it was firs ton!)

I have also been fasinated by language, especially ones created for fantasy
and science fiction (like Tolkien's elvish, or John Normans Gorean).

When my son received a set of Star Trek cd's, including "Conversational
Klingon", I was hooked.  I have been observing the posts for about a month and
decided to throw my attempt into the ring.  Speeking of which:

<< However, this whole thing is a bit awkward. You have stuck to the most
 literal translation of the English. Think about what it means and try to
 come up with a more Klingon way to say it. Here is my attempt:

 bIHaghtaHvIS bIvor'egh.

 See what you can do. >>

I thought about the meaning, and am not sure the "self cure" really conveys
the irony that the English does.  Calling something that is not medicine, the
best medicine of all.  Perhaps a way to expres it in, and to , klingons is
something like this:

qa' vorqu' HaghtaHghach

laughing can really cure the spirit

pechovneS