tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 09 18:05:28 1998

RE: KLBC Name

lab Johnny Wilson:

> Interesting, looks like I'm going to have to dig around some more in
> the TKD, pojwi & new words list. I hope I don't try your patience to
> much. I've been working on my first sentence but ran into a snag,
> here's what I have so far and what I'm trying to say.
> Ha' Quj yIH
> Let's go play a game of TribbleBall (as in baseball but using a
> Tribble instead of a baseball). I didn't find any word for ball.
> Take Care.

Well, what you've said is: "Let's go. The tribble plays". If you want to
say "Let's go play a game", you could say <Ha'. Quj wIQuj>.

As for "ball", you are right. We don't have a word for "ball". We do
have the word <moQ> for "sphere", and that is as close as you can get at
present. We don't have any evidence Klingons even have any recreational
activities invloving balls. The closest thing we know of is <qa'vaQ>, a
game in which the participants throw sticks through a rolling hoop.

If you really wanted to say "Let's play the tribble sphere game", you
could do that...

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level