tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 01 14:20:25 1998

RE: Ha'DIbaHHom

lab K'ryntes:

> Andeen, Eric wrote:
>
>> lab K'ryntes:
>>>
>>> chor vIghro'wij Daq ghewmey tu'lu'.
>>
>> Do'Ha'qa'.
>>
>> One correction: it should be <vIghro'wIj chorDaq>.
>
> ooooohhhh yes, that's one of the first things TKD says:
> possessor-possessed.  oops
>
>> <tu'lu'> should also
>> properly be <lutu'lu'>, but omitting <lu->, especially on
>> <tu'lu'>, is quite common in less than perfectly formal
>> Klingon.
>
> I don't understand why lu- is used.  Can you tell me where
> I can study that part?  qatlho'

The suffix <-lu'> is described in TKD 4.2.5. One of the interesting
things it does is reverse the meaning of the prefix. Normally <lu->
means third person plural subject, third person singular object
(they-him/her/it). With <-lu'>, the (indefinite) subject is always
treated like it's third person singular, and in this case the object is
third person plural - <ghewmey>. Since the subject and object are
reversed in the prefix by <-lu'>, you need <lu->.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level