tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 19 09:36:42 1998

RE: KLBC: Pronunciation

ja' ra'yIn:
> I have no problem making any of the sounds in Klingon, but I have one
> small question regarding <tlh>.  While I have heard it pronounced
> correctly, and I can reproduce the sound accurately, I have never *seen*
> it spoken by someone who really knows what they are doing.  Is it normal
> to "smile" when saying it?  I can do it with or without smiling, but the
> smile feels more natural and sounds much clearer and more distinct.  Is
> this correct?  Does Marc smile when pronouncing <tlh>?  I guess really
> this isn't strictly KLBC, because everyone may have a different
> opinion...

After reading this post, I tried to mumble the word <tlhutlh>  I don't think
it's
*possible* to pronounce /tlh/ correctly with your mouth closed.  It seems to
be identical to the Aztec /tl/ as in "Nahuatl" or "Mictlantecuhtli"
Interestingly
enough, my 12-month old daughter can make this sound perfectly.

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level