tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 18 12:55:01 1998

Re: Canonical Question: Radio Times?

Dawut (David) asked:

: While exploring the KLI website, I noticed that the entry:
:   ghaytanHa' (adv) unlikely [British television magazine, "Radio Times"]
: appears on the KLI Additional Canon Words page.
:
: While I do not question the fact that this is a correctly formed word,
: I do wonder, "Why is this word included in a list of canonical words?
: What makes this canon? Did MO approve or acknowledge this as a canon word?"
:
: The KLI Additional Canon Words page
(</kli/newwords.html>/kli/newwords.html)
: qualifies the listed entries as words that "are missing from the dictionary
: (added later by Dr. Okrand) or were expanded upon after its publication."
: Was {ghaytanHa'} expanded upon or added by MO for this "Radio Times" show?

Indeed it was.  Not all of Okrand's materials first appeared in the United
States.  The British television magazine Radio Times, doing a special for Star
Trek's 30th Anniversary (August 1996), got Marc Okrand to translate a few
"Handy Klingon Phrases" for its readers. Thanks to Niall Hosking, here they
are
complete with pronunciation guide, reproduced exactly as printed:

  Hello  (literally "What do you want?")
    nuqneH
   (pronounced nook-NEKH)

  Beam me up
    Hijol
   (KHI-jol)

  Live long and prosper
    yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
   (yin nil ya-SHEEKH ledj ya-CHEP)

  May your blood scream
    'IwlIj jachjaj
   (euw-lidge jatch-jadge)

  Where is the bathroom?
    nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
   (nook-DAK och pooch-pa! eh?)

They have also published a special 168 page book with interviews with cast and
production staff, information on various people connected with the series, and
an up-to-date listing of episodes and movies (all of Classic, TNG, DS9 and
Voyager to date). The most interesting bit is a 4-page spread where Okrand is
interviewed by Radio Times. It mentions some interesting facts about the
language's origin (based on influences from American Indian, Chinese, and
Southeast Asian languages) as taken from James Doohan and Mark Lenard. Mention
is made of the KLI, as well as Glen Proechel's summer Language Camps, and of
the various tlhIngan Hol products available. There is even a discussion of
klingonaase, which Okrand likes! (He says that it's good to see that people
are
realising that in an "Empire", there would be more than *one* language form.)
As an added bonus, Radio Times got Okrand to translate a few "British" phrases
for readers. These are the direct quotes from the article (punctuation and
all)--the "English" phrases, Klingon translations, and a literal English
transliteration:

 1. We are U.K. Klingons!        wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
  (We are together Empire Klingons!)

 2. Come along then.        Ha'.
  (Let's go.)

 3. Give us a kiss, love.        HIchop, bang.
  (Bite me, love.)

 4. Spot of tea?              Dargh DaneH'a'?
  (Do you want tea?)

 5. Beam me up, mate        HIjol, jup.
  (Beam me up, friend.)

 6. Not bloody likely!        ghaytanHa' jay'!
  (Not &*@%# likely!)

 7. Be quick about it.        tugh.
  (Hurry up.)

 8. Cricket, please.        DaH ghew yIQuj.
  (Play bug now.)

 9. Let's go to the pub.     tach vI'el, HItlhej.
  (I am going to the bar. Accompany me!)

10. What has Lady Di done now? DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?
  (What has Lord/Lady Di accomplished now?)

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level