tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 24 09:02:01 1998

Re: Sum (was: Quj bej Holtej qorDu')

At 08:29 98-05-24 -0700, marqoS wrote:
}Holtejvo':
}> In my mind, /Qu'vaD lI' De'/ is much more natural than /jIHvaD Sum Duj/ or
}> /DujDaq jISum/.  Perhaps you're right, and it's just interference from
}> English.
}
}How about {-vo'}?

Nuh-uh.  {-vo'} is motion away.  I think {-vaD} is exactly the ticket.
Here's how I'd use it.

Dujvo' yItta' Saqghom.  DaH chaHvaD Hop Duj.
The landing party has walked away from the ship.  Now the ship is far from them.

tlhe' 'ej Duj lughoSchoH.  HoptaH Duj.
They turn and approach the ship.  The ship is still far.

Dujvo' tenHa' chIjwI'.  ghaHvaD Sum Duj 'ach Hop Saqghom.
The navigator disembarks from the ship.  To him the ship is close, but the
landing party is far away.

Duj ghoSlI' Saqghom.  SumchoHlI' Duj. leghchuqchoH Saqghom chIjwI' je.
DujvaD chIjwI' Sum law' Saqghom Sum puS.
The landing party continues to approach the ship.  The ship nears. The
landing party and the navigator catch sight of one another.  The navigator
is closer to the ship than the landing party.

DujDaq pawta'DI' Saqghom, Sumqu'choHpu' Duj.  ten 'ej pu'meychajDaq nIch
lulanqa'.
When the landing party has arrived at the ship, the ship has become really
close.  They embark and reload.

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level