tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 23 08:14:35 1998

Re: (KLBC)First words

At 02:06 98-05-23 -0700, dragonwolf wrote:
}nuqneQ:

The word that Klingons may sometimes use to begin conversations is {nuqneH},
not *{nuqneQ}.

}tlhIngan mu'ghomwIj pawta'        (My Klingon dictionary has arrived)

The subject of the sentence must go after the verb.  Plus, I question the
volition of your dictionary in choosing {-ta'}.

{pawpu' tlhIngan mu'ghomwIj}

}DoH tlhIngan Hol jIghojrup         (Now I am ready to learn Klingon)

Better.  You have the sentence in the right order.  Watch spelling though,
"now" is {DaH} not {DoH}.  And because the thing you are ready to learn is
the direct object of the verb learn, you need the 3rd-person-object-taking
prefix {vI-}.  See section 4.1.1.

DaH tlhIngan Hol vIghojrup

}taghwI'mo' jIQagh                       (Because I am a beginner, I will
}make mistakes.)

This says "Because of the beginner, I will make mistakes."

If you want to say "because of (a concept that can be expressed in a
sentence)," you need to write that sentence, then use the *verb* suffix {-mo'}.

taghwI' jIH - I am a beginner (compare with {tlhIngan jIH} 6.3)
taghwI' jIHmo' - because I am a beginner (read on in 6.3 to see what the
verb suffix is doing on a *pronoun*)

taghwI' jIHmo' jIQagh - Because I am a beginner, I will make mistakes.

}tugh tlhIngan Hol jIjatlhchu'          (Soon, I will speak Klingon well)

Again the object of the verb must be acknowledged with the {vI-} prefix on
{jatlh}.

}I think that is enough for a first try.

majQa'.  yIHem.  You did a good job choosing things to say that are
straightforard enough not to confuse you, but tricky enough to let you make
a couple mistakes to learn from.

}dragonwolf
}
}PS  Can some one help me translate my name to Klingon.  Surely there is
}a wolflike animal on one of the Klingon worlds and there are dragons on
}Berengaria 7 so the words must exist but I can't find them.

I leave this to someone else.  I don't know the descriptions of the Klingon
fauna.

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level