tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 22 12:17:18 1998

Re: Quapla' (Warning: VERY KLBC)

: Regarding your subject line:
: } Quapla' (Warning: VERY KLBC)
:
: Because English q is *always* followed by a u, it is difficult for
: some newcomers to get used to typing Klingon Q and q without.
: The q sound is almost nothing like the English kw sound made by the
: qu combination.  Don't think it, and don't write it.  Qapla' -
: success.
:
: - Qov

... and don't say it either.  If you've noticed, nearly all the native
English-speaking actors we've seen playing Klingons pronounce Klingon words
(ta' Hol or otherwise) containing syllable initial q + vowel as /kw/.
Unless someone has warned them and they pay very close attention, I imagine
they do it unconsciously.  It's a very hard habit for monolingual
Anglophones to break.

Voragh

Back to archive top level