tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 05 10:33:38 1998

Quixote visions

Today while cataloging James Erwin Schevill's _Quixote visions_ (Providence,
RI: Zuggurat Press, 1991) - a collection of verses inspired by Don Quixote
de la Mancha - one poem caught my eye and I attempted to translate it.  I
make no claim to be a poet, but I present it here to challenge someone to
better render the whimsy and irrealis of the second line.

     XII.

     A chamberpot for a helmet.
     If only warriors
                     had a sense of humor.

     mIv ghajbe'; mIv bargh tuQ.
     Doghbe'mo' SuvwI'pu'
                         Do'Ha'.

Though Klingons don't have chamberpots (so far as we know), they do have the
{mIv bargh}, which is a regionalism for a "metal flat-bottomed pot"
according to KGT.  Le mot juste!

Voragh

Steven Boozer   University of Chicago Library   [email protected]

Back to archive top level