tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 04 23:28:29 1998

Re: KLBC: -bogh

At 05:43 98-05-04 -0700, ghIlqer wrote:

}choQaHmo', qatlho.
}
}I *had* thought of using {-'e'} to indicate which noun was the head
}noun, but I still found it odd that MO would leave this unclear. I
}wonder if this was another case where he made a "mistake" and then went
}back to try and cover it up, or not (i.e. {-jaj} in toasts).

More like an omission than a mistake.

}Anyway....
}
}Dajatlh:

The words spoken are not, we've learned, the object of the verb of saying.
{bIjatlh X} is correct for "You said X."

}>Shaun, wa' *Ault* vISov jIH. SarniaDaq bogh. *Sarnia, ON*Daq qorDu'
}>DaSov'a'?
}
}SarniaDaq jIyIn!  'ach *Ault*mey vISovbe'.  nuqDaq bIyIn SoH?

*Ault*wI' vIghelta'.  Montreal luDab *Ault*pu'.  *Petrolia* Dab jupwI'
qorDu'. *Webster*pu' chaH.  jupwI' loDnal pong 'oH *Ault*'e'. Vancouver
wIDab jIH *Ault*wI' je.

}targhwIjvaD tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH. jatlhchu'be ;-) 'ach {yIba'} {yIQot}
}{yIHu'} {naDev} je yaj.

Both for more correct Klingon and a less confused dog, omit the prefixes
with commands to a pet.  Pets are always addressed in clipped Klingon.
Someone's already pointed this out.

}({naDevDaq yIjaH} nI' vaj {naDev} vIjatlh.)

Someone's already corrected you on *{naDevDaq}.  {naDev} doesn't take {-Daq}.
And I see you've caught yourself on the problem with your placement of
{nI'}.  Also consider saying, {nI'mo' <naDev yIjaH>, <naDev> jIjatlh}.
"Because <naDev yIjaH> is long, I say <naDev>."  Again there is the
no-object prefix on the verb of saying.  {jIjatlh} not {vIjatlh}.

}Ha'DIbaHmey ghojmoH'a' latlhmey?

{latlhpu'} most likely, or are you emphasizing the scattered nature of the
others?  Training a dog to obey voice commands implies the ability to use
language, so the normal plural is in {-pu'}.

I wonder if the three different people, not including ghIlqar,  who followed
up to this within eight hours of its posting are trying to tell me
something?  Fortunately there are all grammarians, so I don't have to kill them.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level