tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 03 21:58:42 1998

(Fwd) Re: states, activities (was Much Ado)

Forwarded message:
From:     Self <nathan>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: states, activities (was Much Ado)
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 17:36:08

> Date:          Fri, 1 May 1998 20:35:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject:       states, activities (was Much Ado)

> From: Stauffer, Tad E (STAUFTE7) <[email protected]>
>
> >   I had a thought about how this use of imperative stative verbs might
> >be explained.. In the case of {..yIyoH}, the state can be changed by the
> >person spoken to, without any actual physical act. With {petaD} (when
> >taken literally), however, a physical process is required. When ordered,
> >you can't simply try to become frozen.. you have to do something to
> >cause yourself to be frozen, such as jump in a barrel of liquid
> >nitrogen. Similarly, I don't think that {yIHegh} could be used properly
> >as a command under normal circumstances, since you can't just die at
> >will.  You would have to do something physical to change to that
> >condition.

good argument, but, (stop me if i'm wrong), but there is a section on
the CD, (its like the second choice you have to make, Pok's
father(??), says, bItaD, (or something similar..) when he is about to
be zapped by the Romulan assasin probe thingy, the appropriate,
'choice' at this point is to wait....(it took me days to figure it
out....)

Back to archive top level