tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 02 10:26:56 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

ja' charghwI':
> >Sentience is not a factor.
> >If it were, I strongly suspect Okrand would have used the word.
> >He can speak and write rather clearly, after all.

jang SuStel:
> I think it's entirely possible that he simply didn't consider the word, or
> considered it too general and imprecise for his purposes.  I think the
> phrase he chose leaves too many questions, too.

actually, that's how I used to interpret it (before seeing all these
arguments): "capable of using language" is how Klingons _define_
sentience or whatever makes the difference.

It still means, we have to figure out, whether a noun describes
"beings capable of using language" or not. doesn't really matter,
whether this means they're sentient or SuD or whatever...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level