tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 22:23:40 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation

[email protected] wrote:

> As mentioned before, I run a Klingon sim group. There is a specific
exchange

Hi, I think you joined us while everyone was away at qep'a'.  We're
back now and I seem to still be the Beginners' Grammarian, the first
line of defense of the Klingon language against those who would
massacre it.  No, wait, I mean I'm the friendly, helpful person who
answers beginner queries first to avoid confusing them.  Something
like that.

> at the beginning of our sims that has become somewhat of a ritual,
and > I would
> like to translate it into thlIngan Hol. The actual exchange is this:
> The first officer makes some final corrections to her report on a
pad, > hands it to
> her ra'wI' and says: "Our lives to you, joHwI'"
> To which the ra'wI' replies: "I accept your pledge" as he takes the
pad.

> Here is my first attempt at translating the phrases:

batlh DanID.  A fine try.

> wa'DIch: qanob yInmeymaj, joHwI'
> lit. I give you our lives, joHwI'

Remember that word order in Klingon is Object, Verb, Subject (OVS).
/yInmeymaj qanob, joHwI'/ translates what you asked for.  Should it
really be "*I* give you our lives," or "*we* give you..."?  The latter
is /yInmeymaj pInob/.

> ra'wI': qalaj 'Ipraj
> lit. I accept your oath

Again OVS, and in this case the object is "it" not "you," so use the
prefix /vI-/

'Ipraj vIlaj.

Look also at the scene in KGT on the ritual for a new HoD.  Of
definite interest to you.

> Questions: is it proper to drop the subject I? I noticed several
examples in TKD
> which did this...

It's normal.  Read about pronouns in the beginning of chapter 5.  Use
pronouns when it would otherwise be ambiguous, or when you want
special emphasis.  Or in the pronoun as to be construction: you'lll
know it when you see it.

> Also, is there a word for pledge, or will I have to make do with
> 'Ip (oath)?

'Ip is just fine.

Qapla'.
==