tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 19 18:21:05 1998

Re: Pronunciation

> i am having trouble with pronouncing the H sound when it is at the >
beginning
> of the word and in front of an o.  When i pronounce it under those
> circumstances it ends out sounding like gh.  I have just started
> learning the
> language and only have the dictionary right now.  I don't have the
> tapes or
> the language lab.  I have no difficulty pronouncing the tlh in any
of > the
> words and the word for drink tlhutlh really helped me to pronounce
it > since
> the sound comes at the end and beginning of the word.  Can anyone help
> me with
> this problem.

Hmm, have you noticed that the only difference between the gh and H is
'voicing'?  It's the same as the difference in English between got and
cot: in the first there is air moving over your vocal cords and in the
second there is not.

If you're not trying to form the two in different parts of your
throat, but you just can't help voicing the H in /Ho'/ as if it were
/gho'/, what can you do?  Try saying HHHHHHu and then HHHHHHo.
Whisper it. (Everything is unvoiced in a whisper, so you'll get H in
either case).
Maybe you're trying to say the o sound too soon and voicing that.
Concentrate on making the H sound, then add the o.

Any of that help?

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian