tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 19 11:37:37 1998

RE: Coffee is ready

qalara wrote:

>> If the coffee is finished perking, you might try "it has been prepared."
>>
>> -- ghunchu'wI'
>
>How would you say "It has been prepared" or "The coffee has been prepared"?

If you're talking about food, use {vut}, as in {qa'vIn vutlu'pu'} "(Someone)
has prepared the coffee."  (To Klingons, {Soj} "food" also includes beverages
[KGT p.83].)  {qa'vIn vIvutpu'} "I have prepared the coffee" would be a more
direct (i.e. more Klingon?) way of informing your guests.  Klingon etiquette
may recommend the even more direct {DaH qa'vIn yItlhutlh} "Drink the coffee
now!"  We'd have to ask Maltz which method he recommends.

Although {vut} was glossed simply as "cook (v)" in TKD, we learn in _Klingon
for the Galactic Traveller_ that it is actually a more general verb meaning
to "prepare (make, fix, assemble) food" whether or not heat is involved in
the process. See KGT p.83:

    In fact, {vut} can also be used in reference to making a beverage,
    whether simply mixing ingredients together (such as putting cream
    into coffee) or starting from scratch (such as brewing ale).

There are, of course, more specific words for the various aspects of food and
beverage preparation:  {Qev} "stew", {pub} "boil", {'Im} "render (fat)", etc.

Voragh

Back to archive top level