tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 18 07:52:10 1998

Re: KLBC more simple sentences

---dragonwulf <[email protected]> wrote:

> I hope Qov has sharpened that red pencil of hers because
> I'm about to mangle--err, ummm, that is, try Klingon again.
> Ahem, here goes...

Dragonwulf, qaStaHvIS poH nI' qaleghbe'taH -- haven't seen you in a
while.  Read the sections I have pointed out to you for more
information.

> choDev DevwI' Daq
> {Take me to your leader}

Three things to learn from this sentence:

1. Imperative prefixes (section 4.1.2): when your statement directly
tells someone to do something or not do something, whether it's an
order, a caution or a request, you select from a differnt set of
prefixes than the ones in 4.1.1.

"Be careful" - yIyep
"Take it" - yItlhap
"Lead me" - HIDev

2. Possessive suffixes (3.3.4)

You left the idea of "your" out of your Klingon sentence.  Express it
by adding a suffix to the noun.  "Your" for an object or an animal
would be /-lIj/ but here "leader" is a "being capable of using
language" so you use -lI'

DevwI'lI' - your leader

3. Locations/destinations with -Daq (3.3.5)

Do not use suffixes as stand-alone words.  Only use them attached to
words. For /-Daq/, attach it to the word that is the location or the
destination of the action of the sentence.  And the location with -Daq
always goes *before* the rest of the sentence.

DevwI'lI'Daq HIDev - Take me to your leader.

> vIleghnIS
> {I need to see him}

maj.

> muleghrup'a'
> {Is he ready to see me?}

majQa'.

> DevwI' vIjatlhta'
> {I spoke to the leader}

The perfective suffix /-ta'/ makes the translation more like "I have
spoken to the leader" or "I had spoken to the leader."  It makes more
sense without it in this narrative.

> maQochchuqpu' vaj vIHoH rIntaH
> {We disagreed so I killed him}

The perfective /-pu'/ is not best on /Qoch/, because you didn't kill
him on accound of having completed disagreeing with him.  You killed
him because of a disagreement at the time you killed him.  Please note
that Klingon does not have a past tense marker, like English "-ed" so
"We disagreed so I killed him" could be written, /maQoch vaj vIHoH/.

/Qoch/ means "disagree" not "diagree with" so /Qochchuq/ looks like it
would mean "disagree each other."  Plain /maQoch/ avoids this.

> DaH nIDev jIH
> {Now I am their leader(Now I lead them)}

Oops, wrong prefix.  Have another look at the table.

> DaH 'etlhwIj vISay'nIS
> {I need to clean my sword now}

Almost.  /Say'/ is "be clean"  You need to show "cause to be clean" or
"cause to become clean."  /vISay'nISchoHmoH/ "I cause it to change to
become clean" i.e. "I clean it."  Look at /nuqDaq waqwIj
vIlamHa'choHmoH/ in the appendix.

lutlIj vItIv.  majQa'.
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian