tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 17 07:54:16 1998

Re: pu' and past tense

From: Anthony Appleyard <[email protected]>

>  When will TKD be properly revised to remove all uses of -pu' as simple
past
>and explain properly the difference between aspect and tense???

Revised?  You wish!

>  I saw a suggestion that in English also, the future tense "I will write"
is
>distinct from the future aspect "I am going to write".

I don't think so.  "I am going to write" is no different from "I will
write."  "I am going" might be used as a present tense, continuous
statement: "I am going to the Great Hall," but the equivalent future tense
sentence would be "I will be going to the Great Hall."  The difference here
is in the meaning of "going."  In the first sentence, it indicates "intend."
In the others, it indicates "travel."

SuStel
Stardate 98540.7

Back to archive top level