tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 16:02:02 1998

Re: betleH mu'

---Terrence Donnelly  wrote:

> I'm trying to label the parts of a betleH.  The handles would
probably be
> {ret'aqmey}, the blade is of course {'etlh}, the four points of the
blade
> I'm calling {Ho'} (by analogy with the {Ho' 'etlh} of a serrated
blade).
> Would the word {pach} be understood as the part between the two
points at
> each end of the blade?

Me, I'd understand pach or  Ho' as the end spikes. Maybe pach joj or
Ho' joj?  Or simply joj in context?  This is fiction, right?  You
can't guess what the proper terms would be any more than you'd guess
"pommel" "cantle" "surcingle" "bars" or "numnah" as parts of a piece
of equipment for a certain human activity.  You can use descriptive
terms that would lead a real Klingon warrior to smile and understand
what you were identifing, like me saying "the belly belt" or "the
upward curved part behind the rider's butt."

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian