tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 08:28:40 1998

Re: how do you learn voc?

---Quvar muHwI' <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just a personal question: How old were you when you > started
learning Klingon?

I started learning the grammar with no memorization, just looking
everything up, in February 1988, just before my 21st birthday.  I have
some text that I wrote at that time.  Perhaps I'll post it sometime to
give you all a laugh.  Lots of vocabulary look-up errors and
misunderstandings. At that time I memorized perhaps a few dozen words
and affixes, just from repetition, and to ask my friend simple things
like "megh DaneH'a'?" (which she learned to understand and respond to
from the sheer weight of my repetition.  A very good friend). I then
laid the dictionary aside for years.  I started actually memorizing
the affixes and vocabulary in March 1996, just after my 29th birthday.
(It was birthday mail from the KLI and a subsequent e-mail exchange
with Lawrence that prompted me to study the language in earnest).

Listen to me saying {megh} or {nuqneH} and you may hear a palatization
of the e.  I was studying Russian at the time and the Russian "ye"
carried over into my Klingon.

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian