tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 12:54:24 1998

RE: KLBC: Dap 'ach pab

: lab Minots:
:
: >Actually, I believe we do.  We know {Sov} can have the meaning of "kennen"
: >(to know a person, as opposed to to know a fact) from Conversational
: >Klingon:
: >   Qo'noSDaq vay' DaSov'a'?
: >   Do you know anyone on Kronos?
: >and
: >   ghobe'.  Qo'noSDaq vay' vISovbe'.
: >   No, I don't know anyone on Kronos.
: [snip]
: >And I'm pretty sure {Sov} also has the meaning of "wissen" (to know a
: >fact) -- there have to be a number of examples.  Here's a sample:
: >   qama'pu' DIHoH 'e' luSov.
: >   They know we kill prisoners.
: >TKD, page 66.  Also, the {Sov} in the infamous {naDev jIHtaHbogh vISovbe'}
: >seems to be the "kennen" form.
:
: ngoDna' Daghaqmo' qatlho'. I had forgotten about the CK example - it's been
: several years since I listened to it.
:
: pagh

And here are the rest:

"All four words asked about... can be used in the construction S {'e'} V,
where S is a sentence, {'e'} is the pronoun (that) which refers to a
well as some others). If the sentence (S) is {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh} 'you
speak Klingon,' it's OK to say ... {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vISov} 'I know
that you speak Klingon'..." (MO on Expert Forum 7/97)

jISovbe'
I don't know. TKD

qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov
One knows we kill prisoners. TKD

De' Sov qar'a' HoD
De' Sov HoD qar'a'
The captain knows the information, right? TKD

Daq Sovbejbe'taH qerq
Kirk cannot know the location... ST6

DaSovbej'a'?
Are you sure [of that]? ST6

naDev vay' DaSov'a'?
Do you know anyone here? CK

naDev vay' vISovbe'.
I don't know anyone here. CK

lut tlhaQ DaSov'a'?
Do you know any funny stories? PK

DaqwIj vISovbe'.
DaqwIj Sovbe'.  [Clipped]
I am lost ("I do not know my location.") PK

De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'.
Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate. PK

bISovbejbe'DI' tImer.
When in doubt, surprise them. TKW

loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
 retlhDaq 'oHtaH
It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions
 of the universe. (SkyBox DSN99)

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

Back to archive top level