tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 08 22:32:53 1998

Re: KLBC: yej

mulughmoH pagh

>lab Edy:
>
>> qaStaHvIS ra'ghomquv ghom.
>
>This was tough to figure out. I am glad you included a translation. I think
>your first sentence is trying to say the High Command is meeting, and the
>translation indicates it is a reunion. For the reunion idea, we have a
>perfect tool: the suffix <-qa'>. The rest of the sentence needs some
>restructuring:
>
><ghomqa'lI' ra'ghomquv> - "The High Command is meeting again"

    I'm not sure if the suffix {-qa'} in {ghomqa'lI'} represents
the real idea. In TKD 37 "-qa', this suffix implies that an action
had been taking place, then it stopped, and then began again."
The "re"union don't mean that the union tookke place, stopped and
restart.  Is there a canon exemple of it's use?

>> poH nI'qu' jatlhta'DI' 'aj negh tlhob:
>
>You are trying to say "The admiral talks for a long time, and when he's one,
>he asks the soldiers:", yes?

    Should be "After talk for a very long time, the admiral asks
to the soldiers"

First off, the poH nI'qu' is a duration, not a
>timestamp, and as such it cannot just sit there alone at the beginning of
>the sentence. Second, it's probably better to keep to short, simple
>sentences - Klingon works best that way. So your first idea is "The admiral
>talks for a very long time":

    <qaStaHvIS poH nI'qu' jatlh 'aj>.

>Now for the other sentence - when he's done, he asks a question. Remember
>your OVS sentence order - the Admiral is asking the soldiers, not the other
>way around. Also, we have a better word for ask (a question) from KGT:
><ghel>. Finally, although he is asking the soldiers, the soldiers cannot be
>the direct object of either <tlhob> or <ghel> - that's just the way those
>words work. The way Klingon does indirect objects is with <-vaD>.
>
><jatlhta'DI' neghvaD ghel 'aj>.

>> - toDSaH, jatlh 'aj. poH nI' jIjatlh 'ej pagh bojatlh.
>
><qaStaHvIS poH nI'> - timestamps can be put at the front of a sentence all
>by themselves, but durations cannot.
>

>> pay' DeSDaj pep Sogh 'ej jatlh
>>
>> - puchpa'Daq jIghoSlaH'a'
>
>The verb <ghoS> includes the <-Daq> idea. Your sentence is correct, but
><puchpa' vIghoSlaH'a'> would be better. Also, "go to the bathroom" is a bit
>of an English idiom; Klingons would probably use the more direct "use the
>toilet". Finally, we don't really know how Klingons ask permission, but
><-laH> is probably not how they do it. My guess would be:
><puch vIlo' 'e' yIchaw'>

>Here are a few fairly long and convoluted English sentences. See if you can
>translate them into natural sounding Klingon. Remember - Klingon works
>better with several short, simple sentences than with one long ugly one.
>
>1. When my car (Duj) broke down, I took it to the repair shop (tI'wI' yaH),
>and while I waited for it to be repaired, I read a magazine.

    Duy'DI' DujwIj tI'wI'yaHDaq vItlhap(*). DujwIj tI'lu'taH.
'e' jIloStaHvIS QonoS vIlaD.

* - I'm not sure if the correct verb should be {tlhap}. There might
be other verbs as {lan}, (ghoS} or other one else.

>2. Because I was reading and answering mail, I did not have time to eat
>lunch, so I was hungry during the silly meeting.

QIn vIlaD 'ej QIn vItlhobmo' megh vISoplaHbe'. qaStaHvIS qep Dogh jIghung.

For me, "have time" seems an idiomatic expression, then I cut it off.

>3. Three weeks ago, I bought a new book, and because my wife wanted read it,
>I gave it to her, but she has not read it yet and she won't give it back.

qaStaHvIS wej Hogh paq chu' vIje'. paq laD neHmo' ghaHvaD vInob.
paq laDpu'be' vaj munobbe'

Edy

Back to archive top level