tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 08 08:59:33 1998

Re: qep'a'mey

Anthony Appleyard wrote:

: qep'a'meyDaq ghoS ghotpu' 'ar?

<qep'a'mey ghoS ghot 'ar?> bIjatlhnIS.

1) "There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
{ghoS} 'approach, proceed'. The locative suffix [-Daq] need not be used on
nouns which are the objects of such verbs: {Duj ghoStaH} 'It is approaching
the ship.' {yuQ wIghoStaH} 'We are proceeding toward the planet.' If the
locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat
redundant, but not out-and-out wrong: {DujDaq ghoStaH} 'It is approaching
toward the ship'." (TKD p.28)

2) "{'ar} 'how many? how much?' follows the noun to which it refers. It can
never follow a noun with a plural suffix. {Haw'pu' yaS 'ar} 'How many
officers fled?'" (TKD p.70)  Other examples:

  nIn 'ar wIghaj?
  How much fuel do we have? TKD
  How much fuel do we have left? TKD ("Useful Expressions")
  How much fuel do we have left? CK

  nIn 'ar ghaj?
  How much fuel do we have (left)? [clipped] PK

  Huch 'ar DaneH
  How much money do you want? TKD

  Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
  How much do you want for that? TKD