tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 05 10:11:26 1998

Re: -Curses

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Minots wrote:

>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>
>>toh-pah or toba'   (epithet) [This is possibly a misreading of
>>   tohzah.] - The Cardassians fire on the Enterprise and Maht-H'a to
>>   disable them and thus gain an adventage on the chase. Capt Nu'Daq,
>>   aboard the Enterprise, hails Maht-H'a: "Maht-H'a, status?" "Minor
>>   damage to starboard nacelle. We will be operational in less than one
>>   hour." "WHAT! You incompetent toh-pah! You were supposed to be
>>   prepared!" Later, on the planet where the puzzle is finally solved,
>>   the Cardassian Gul who tried to deceive both the Klingons and
>>   Federation, materializes. Nu'Daq shouts "You dishonorable toh-pah!"
>>   (The Chase)
>
>Aha!  This must be the origin of the word {toppa'} in KGT!  Witness KGT page
>132 (under Similes):
>
>tlhIb; toppa' rur ("incompetent as a 'topah'")

I really should update my list of curses, which I compiled some months before
KGT came out.  Thanks for noticing this.

The glossary lists {toppa'} (n.) "type of animal" -- the epithet is clearly a
noun. So... "WHAT! You incompetent topah!" {chay'! toppa' tlhIb SoH!}, or
would that be {SoH, toppa' tlhIb} since the original is more of an
apposition, and not a complete sentence in English? I do like the sound of
the first, though, and it's the same number of words regardless.

Voragh

Back to archive top level