tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 03 09:43:30 1998

Re: The Farmer's Treasure is the Warrior's Burden

[email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-02 17:02:11 EDT, I wrote:
> > Voragh writes
> > >I took it to mean that those things a farmer values -- a settled
uneventful
> >  >long life, quiet evenings with the family, the rhythm and
predictability
> of
> >  >working the land, etc. -- are burdensome, boring and tedious to
an active,
> >  >adventure-loving, glory-seeking warrior.
> >  >

> >  Oh, that's considerably different.  Then how about
> >
> >  SuvwI'vaD lo'laHbe' wIjwI' luyonbogh Dochmey'e'
> >
> Or, correcting an error and giving it a bit of a meter
>
> SuvwI'pu'vaD lo'laHbe'  wIjwI' yonmoHbogh Doch'e'

My favourite is still the previously suggested {SuvwI' jIp 'oH wIjwI'
mIp'e'}.   It's *supposed* to be a metaphor, so the power is lost if
you state the meaning.  Translate what the English actually says and
you're left with the same ambiguity, plus .. I'm not sure if it's
rhyme or assonance, but it sounds neat.  And it's shorter than the
suggestions with relative clauses.  majQa', whoever came up with it.