tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 13:30:18 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

>>However, I'm a bit confused by one thing: MO calls the tlhIngan scale
>>nonatonic (i.e. nine tones to the octave), but what he then actually
>>describes is an _octa_tonic scale, since the ninth note duplicates the
>>first.  Has anybody ever asked him to clarify this?
>
>Yes.  He says that it's nine tones per *nonave*. :-)  It might be possible
>that his research into ancient Klingon music is faulty, and {Hut} actually
>*is* one of the notes of the scale, but that's unwarranted speculation on
>my part.

I'm not into music in any language, so am I really missing something here?

do  1
ra  2
mi  3
fa  4
so  5
la  6
ti  7
do  8

an octave... 1 thru 8; 1 and 8 are both do

yu     1
bIm    2
'egh   3
loS    4
vagh   5
jav    6
Soch   7
chorgh 8
yu     9

nonatonic... 1 thru 9; 1 and 9 are both yu

If what you're saying about the klingon scale was applied to our scale then
we really only have seven notes.
But Octave means eight.

I'm confused.

DloraH