tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 11:48:24 1998

"spam"

So there I was, catching up furiously on accumulated tlhIngan-Hol
email that I wanted to answer, when I started wondering whether my
sudden flurry of answers could be considered "spam".  Then I tried
thinking of ways to express the concept of "spam" in Klingon.  If
you'll all indulge me a bit:

  {qagh} serpent worm (as food) (n)
  {qagh} interrupt (v)

The obvious Klingon counterpart to the foodstuff "Spam" is {qagh}.
Whether either one is good to eat is irrelevant, in my opinion,
although I'm quite sure that if you like eating worms you'll not
express any particular dismay over eating Spam.

Fortuitously, the verbal meaning "interrupt" works to describe what
happens when an unsolicited and/or off-topic message is sent to an
inappropriate forum.  It also applies in some fashion when someone
transmits a large number of messages all at once.

So I'm going to insist that you all understand me when I say this:

lIqaghta' qaghwIj 'e' yISIQ.  jItlhIjQo'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level