tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 01 11:07:27 1998

Re: The Farmer's Treasure is the Warrior's Burden

: I wrote
: > Has the phrase from StarTrek: Klingon been translated already?
: >     "The farmer's treasure is the warrior's burden."
: > (Gowron said that to me... er... to Pok in the Klingon CD after I had to
: > choose if I want to come with him or not.)
:
: There's no word for "treasure", neither is there for "burden"
:    [...]
: How would you (tlhIH) recast "burden" and "treasure"????
: Any suggestions?
:
: muHwI'

There are a few suggestions for "treasure":

Huch    money (n.)
"Since there are any number of phrases involving money that could be taken
the wrong way if {Huch} is pronounced {Quch}, many tourists follow the
Klingon practice of using the term {DarSeqmey} (darseks) ... to refer to
money in general. Thus, 'You lack money' would be {DarSeqmey DaHutlh}
(literally, 'You lack darseks')." (KGT p.194)
          Huch 'ar DaneH?
          How much money do you want? TKD

          Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH?
          How much do you want for that? TKD

          Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
          Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW

          Huch DaHutlh.
          You lack money. KGT

mIp     wealth (TKD), richness (KGT) (n.)
          DojneS mIplIj.
          Your wealth is impressive, your honor. PK

pop     reward (n.)
"The Klingon word {pop} (reward) could refer to compensation or a prize of
some sort, but it also means honor in the sense of recognition for a
particular achievement or set of achievements." (TKW p.47)
          pop 'oH ghob'e'.
          Virtue is the reward. TKW
"This proverb does not mean 'Virtue is honor.' The use of the word {pop}
suggests that virtue is the honor bestowed as a result of acting in a manner
respectful of society's values, not simply advocating them." (TKW p.47)

van'a'  award (n.)
          Not attested in canon.

tev     prize (n.)
          Not attested in canon.

Of these, {pop} or {tev} seem appropriate.  I'll need to give "burden" some
more thought...

- Voragh
  Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level