tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 31 16:46:29 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark E. Shoulson <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 1998 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>This is a significant point.  I, too, believe that I would be far more
>likely, at first hearing, to think "The captain was eating the squadron
>which destroyed in the building" when I heard {qachDaq Qaw'bogh nawlogh
>SoplI' HoD}.  At least briefly.

While I too believe there are better ways to say this, it is more
troublesome when *reading* it than *hearing* it.

If I were *speaking* this sentence, I'd put a pause in, thus:

qachDaq Qaw'bogh nawlogh, SoplI' HoD.

This pulls the sentence apart into pieces which can be managed: the locative
is contained in one portion, the non-oblique (what's the word for this?!?)
words in the other.  The pause will tell the listener that the locative
phrase is over, and here comes the next part.

Though I understand the support for something like

(qach Qaw'bogh nawlogh)Daq SoplI' HoD,

I think it is truly nasty, and hope it is not the case!

SuStel
Stardate 98081.7

Back to archive top level