tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 22:20:26 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>>>{meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH}
>>Or else it's a MO boo-boo.

ja' ter'eS:
>This is my guess.  I'd like to see this example go the way of the
>{jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} sentence from TKD, as something we agree
>to politely ignore.  I don't like the construction, and without other canon
>or a mighty good argument, I don't intend to use it

I *do* like this construction.  While the rules it appears to follow have
not yet been made explicit, it makes perfect sense to me.  The only reason
to put {-Daq} on {qach} is to make it the locative of the sentence which it
precedes, and {qach} is the only possible head noun of {meQtaHbogh}.  It's
quite clear in my mind why this means what it does.  It gives us a rather
simple template for substituting other nous and verbs to make new sentences,
and I *will* use this construction when I think it's appropriate.

(I also like {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'}, by the way, and I believe I have a
fairly complete understanding of why *it* works, but I'll save that for some
other time.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level