tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 11:47:48 1998

Re: Babalon vaghDaq, qaStaH nuq??

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:05:21 -0800 (PST)
> >From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
> >
> >charghwI'vo':
> >
> >I enjoy that conversation is happening and I feel okay about
> >letting grammatical errors slide in these settings, but...
> >I feel a
> >need to intervene before people get accustomed to these errors
> >and it becomes pseudo-cannon/habit.
>
> Yes.  Thank you for doing it; I was counting on SOMEone to mention it. :)

And thank you for following up on it. As I think I said, it was
not an exhaustive examination. I just read it and rewrote stuff
that looked wrong at first glance.

> >> *Sheridan* jonlu' 'e' nab *Clarke* 'ej
> >> pe'vIl DIS *Sheridan* 'e' nIDlu'.
> >
> >pe'vIL DIS *Sheridan* net nID.
>
> This doesn't work for me yet.  I imagine the {pe'vIl} by rights belongs
> before the {net}, but even that sounds strained.  I thought the meaning was
> just
>
> pe'vIl *Sheridan* luDISmoH 'e' lunID
>
> or some such.  It doesn't sound sensible to say that one person tried that
> someone else do something.  Or maybe a -meH clause is in order.

Yep. I just saw {... 'e' Xlu'} and plugged in {net X} without
really thinking about it. I was getting tired. I think you got
this one right, and I agree that it might even be improved by
moving {pe'vIl} to be right in front of {'e'}. It makes more
sense that they forcefully tried to disrupt him than to say
that they tried to foreably disrupt him.

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level