tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 07:05:24 1998

Re: mathematics

ghItlh QetlhIS:

>Is it a mere coincidence that the klingon verb order that
>which actually matches the mathematical notation.

mu'mey latlh lo'chugh,

*wejlogh Hut wav wej*

But what divides nine things? A number or someone doing the division? Nice
thought - wish it could be that simple. Hey, we might discover that it is...

>What about words like <nge'> for "minus" and I might be
>wrong but I always thought the adverb <rur> would do fine for
>a multiplication, but that may be a confuzzlemixup of a non-native
>English speaker reading TKD :)

I think <nge'> is one of the words in the HolQeD article. But we couldn't
say the old Sesame Street phrase "5 take away 3 is 2". But we could say
<vaghvo' wej nge'chugh cha' tu'lu'>.

Confuzzlemixup - indeed! <rur> is a verb "resemble> Perhaps you're thinking
of <rut> "sometimes"? That's the same as "Every once in a while" or
"Discontinuously", as in <rut Qap De'wI'wIj> "My computer works
discontinually"

Hee hee hee...

Qermaq

Back to archive top level