tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 22:19:14 1998

Re: mathematics

In a message dated 98-01-25 01:06:43 EST, Qermaq answers tu'wI':

<< There is <chel> = add (v), but is this like "I add a hat to the pile" or
 "Variety adds spice to life" or "He adds the numbers together"? All
 different senses of "add" - no canon to guide us. Same with <wav> divide
 (v). We simply lack vocabulary for really concise figuring of math problems.
 But the HolQeD article I recall had some clever ways around that. >>

---------peHruS jumps in----------
Due to {chelwI'}'s meaning "accountant", evidence points to {chel}'s meaning
"add"  numbers, as we do in mathematics.

I'll stop here, though.  We haven't seen anything in canon that I can remember
proving how we talk about mathematics in Klingon.  There has been speculation
in previous issues of HolQeD; but, so far, they remain our ideas without
clarification from Marc Okrand.

peHruS

Back to archive top level