tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 25 20:27:49 1998

Re: KLBC pong (v)

ghItlh Voragh 'ej qon MO:

>roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.

"Usually someone/something just calls it Homeworld."

Now how did <-meH> work? <jIqaw> "I remember", <qaqaw> "I remember you",
<qaqawmeH> "I cause you to remember", <De' qaqawmeH> "I cause you to
remember the info", <HoDvaD De' vIqawmoH> "I cause the captain to remember
the info" <HoDvaD (SoH) qaqawmeH> "I cause the captain to remember you".

I describe the fourth and fifth sentences as Agent-vaD Object Verb-moH, with
the verb taking the prefix for the object of the verb as acted by the agent.
Of course when the agent is a pronoun, we see the third sentence, and the
prefix is Subject-Agent.

Compare <'oHvaD juHqo' pong> He calls it Homeworld. I see a distinct
similarity. Seems that "call (v)" takes the name as the object. The thing
named is the agent and is marked with <-vaD>.

By paralleling the <-moH> construction, I can say <jIHvaD Qermaq pong> "She
calls me Qermaq". But (here's the tricky part) if the two do parallel each
other, I can say <Qermaq mupong> "He calls me Qermaq", or <*'ISmay'el
HIpong> "Call me Ishmael". (We can certainly say <jIHvaD *'ISmay'el
yIpong>.)

bIQochlu''a'?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level