tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 25 20:24:44 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

At 10:18 98-01-25 -0800, ter'eS wrote:
}At 03:50 PM 1/23/98 -0800, Qermaq wrote:
}>ghItlh ter'eS:
}
}This is my guess.  I'd like to see this example go the way of the
}{jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} sentence from TKD, as something we agree
}to politely ignore.  I don't like the construction, and without other canon
}or a mighty good argument, I don't intend to use it

Now I love jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'.  It's a wonderful example of a
completely unexpected, ugly idiomatic construction.  There are dozens in
English and we don't notice them.  Probably one of our non-native English
speakers can supply an example of a truly hideous thing that English
speakers do regularly that THEY would like to politely ignore.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level