tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 23 08:52:44 1998

Re: Fw: Problem with {-meH} and negative meanings

According to Terrence Donnelly:

> At 10:37 AM 1/22/98 -0800, SuStel wrote:

{-meH} doesn't have a head noun. Besides the syntactical
difference between {-meH} and {-bogh}, there is a fundamental
difference in grammatical structure between them. If you remove
{-bogh} from a relative clause, you get a sentence. The subject
or object of that sentence also happens to be the subject or
object of the main verb in the larger sentence. That head noun
functions as a noun in both clauses (relative and main) at the
same time.

If you take the {-meH} out of a purpose clause, you also get a
whole sentence. Meanwhile, none of the nouns in that sentence
serve any function at all for the main verb. The whole purpose
clause in its entirety modifies either a noun or the main verb.
There is no head noun.

> -- ter'eS
> >SuStel
> >Stardate 98057.7